The favourite weekend farmers’ market at Jing Jai Chiang Mai reopens its doors to support local farmers and the community.
During the COVID-19 lockdowns, Jing Jai Market in Chiang Mai has been paused, then reopened, and paused again several times. The management has decided to resume operations at the weekend farmers’ market to support local farmers with their seasonal, safe and organic produce. The weekend farmers’ market is now situated at the Graffiti Zone, Jing Jai Market. The operating hours are from 6:30am till 1pm, every Saturday and Sunday.
However, the Rustic Market Zone, which specialises in handmade art, crafts, and vintage items, will remain temporarily closed until further notice.
The Jing Jai Market Chiang Mai has been one of Thailand’s favourite open-air weekend markets for the past several years. The market consists of two main zones: the Farmers’ Market and the Rustic Market. This morning market is not only popular among locals, but also visitors. Some visitors flew in for a weekend to do grocery shopping for organic fresh produce at the Farmers’ Market.
Jing Jai Farmers’ Market is one of the CSV (Creating Shared Value) projects by Central Group. It is the first organic market in Chiang Mai. The market was established in 2012 with cooperation between the Chiang Mai Food Safety program (of the Chiangmai Provincial Public Health Office) and Central Group. It encourages awareness of healthy food and supports organic and pesticide-free farming, which will lead to sustainable community development. It also bolsters local farmers’ incomes and builds stronger networks in the Chiang Mai community.
Jing Jai Farmers’ Market features safe agricultural products, organic fruits and vegetables, homemade bakery goods, and ready-to-eat food from a network of farmers who reduce and avoid chemical use in their farming practice and animal husbandry. The market has its own trustful standards, as follows:
- All farmers hold GAP certificates (Good Agriculture Practice) or other certified documents that ensure pesticide-free or organic standards. Jing Jai Farmers’ Market officers inspect farms before letting the vendors join the market place.
- The market randomly checks chemical residues in all products at its lab on a weekly basis.
- Weekly checks are made on frying oil, to make sure there is no reused cooking oil.
- The vendors are well trained in the Food Sanitation Program certified by the Department of Health. All ingredients are safe and NO MSG.
- The market features eco-friendly food containers, NO foam and NO staples.
- Weekly checks ensure the accuracy of vendors’ scales. There are also public scales for guests to recheck by themselves.
Jing Jai Farmers’ Market is certified “Safety Frying Oil” by Chiang Mai Municipality, and it was awarded “Talad Tong Chom” (the must-watch market) by the Office of Commercial Affair Chiang Mai. It was awarded “100% foam-free organisation” (gold level) by the Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health. The market was recently awarded a “Green Market” designation by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, and actively encourages customers to bring cloth bags for shopping.
During the pandemic, the COVID-19 Public Health Countermeasures are strictly applied to both vendors and customers at the market. Ready-to-eat food and drinks are available for takeaway only.
- Address: Jing Jai Market, 45 Atsadathon Road, Pa Ton, Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai 50300 Thailand
- For more info: +66(0) 5323 1520
- Facebook: Jing Jai Market Chiang Mai
- Instagram: jingjaimarketchiangmai